Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Things I Choose to Keep: Heavenly Mother

Mother Nature's Garden by jesus-at-art
When my shelf fell down, there was a whole lot of stuff that I had to sift through. I knew I wanted to keep some of it. Many people choose to throw everything away. I believe there is treasure in this mess far too valuable to throw away and start from scratch.

And so I sift through this, choosing to keep some things, discarding others. I will be talking about both, and obviously the things I choose to keep will likely be more positive posts than the things I choose to throw away. They may also be controversial.

Among the more controversial and unique things that the LDS church teaches, is that there is a Heavenly Mother. No other Christian church that I know of teaches this, although there are other religions that recognize the feminine divine.

It makes logical sense. It is even supported in the bible right in Genesis.
26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1 26-28 KJV

Who was God speaking to when He said "us" and "our"? If He made man in His own image, then who did He model woman after? I do not look like a man. It stands to reason that there was also woman to make an image of.

God also chose to create a world beginning with a man and a woman, and stated that in Corinthians 11:11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

It stands to reason that we cannot create alone, and that God the Father would set the pattern much like one that has been set before.

I imagine a beautiful garden, and in this garden there is a man and a woman who are planning their own world(s). Perhaps it is one world, perhaps it is two, one for him and one for her, each one being the God of their own world or sharing the responsibilities of the one. I can see them working together, making plans, trying things out, helping each other as they build these worlds. And they create a garden much like the one they live in, and in the garden they put a man and a woman in the images of them. 

The church has taught there is a Heavenly Mother, but sadly has not expounded on this idea and has discouraged members from talking about her, praying to her, and searching for her. Often the reason is to "protect her". 

But She is a God. She needs no protection from humans. I would hate it if my children never spoke to me, never thought of me. It seems so cruel for the Mother of mankind to be ostracized from our thoughts and feelings. 

And so I keep Heavenly Mother, and I embrace her. Because sometimes I need a Mom.

2 comments:

  1. I have a big problem understanding the LDS statement that there is a male God & a female God & they have a son Jesus Christ
    .Mary is the mother of Christ ----she gave birth to him here on earth,
    Isn't she his mother in heaven too?
    Are you saying it is another entity that is his mother in Heaven?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have earthly parents and heavenly parents. Mary is Christ''s earthly mother. She is His mother in heaven too, but so is Heavenly Mother, just as you have an earthly mother and a Heavenly Mother. Just as you have an earthly father and a Heavenly Father. I am sure that Christ recognizes Joseph as His earthly father.

    ReplyDelete